A few what's-the-trick questions

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 18:00:54 EST 2017

1) You should have 3 pieces. The window crank itself, the metal spring
clip, and the large plastic disc/washer that protects the door panel.
First roll the window all the way up. This is important for placement
during the final step. Place the large plastic washer over the knurled
crank section coming out of the door. It is not flat, it is more like a
bowl. Place the "bottom" of the bowel toward the door. Next put the
metal spring clip into the slots on the hand crank. You may have lost
this piece. It likes to fly around when removed. Finally, with the
spring clip on the hand crank, push the hand crank into position onto
the knurled shaft so that it is pointing up and toward the windshield at
a 45 degree angle. The clip will snap things into place. Tug on the hand
crank a little and you should be all set.

The placement is important so your knee doesn't contact the crank when
the window is fully closed.

2) I can't stand these things. The only advice I have here is to maybe
glue a nickle or two to the physical stop which will prevent the trunk
from over-centering and locking on you if you have that problem.

3) I would take the time to buy new and replace the cable. It's likely
to save to time, money, and effort in the long run. Assuming they are
still for sale that is...

-Ben Fenner
1994 Turbo SE-R
2000 M-Coupe