Fwd: rejected submission

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Wed Aug 11 23:11:26 CDT 2004

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Pickett <tajimiboy at msn.com>
Date: August 11, 2004 10:31:11 PM CDT
To: se-r-owner at se-r-list.org
Subject: rejected submission

Hi,  I just attempted to send the message below as a reply to the
person who requested some advice on how to fight a speeding ticket in
court.  It came back saying that I wasn't allowed to post, however.
Not sure why that is--I am on the list, I thought, and receive it in
digest form.  Anyway, if you would still like to post it, I've pasted
it below.  Thanks!

I am a cop in Portland, Oregon.  Here it is just the officer vs.
speeder (or
speeder's attorney) in front of a judge.  If there is no other evidence,
usually the judge will take the officer's word over the speeder, but
then
reduce the fine depending on the speeder's record and attitude.  If you
were cited for 87 in a 55, (s)he was probably using some sort of
measuring device, like a radar or laser, that would give an exact
reading like that.  And those are pretty hard to argue with.  Unless it
was a totally corrupt cop, I have a hard time believing (s)he made a
17mph error in your speed.  Perhaps you were hit with the laser earlier
than you thought, before you started slowing down?  They have an
incredible range.  Anyway, my advice if you are going to fight any
ticket in court is to go in there and be as brutally honest and humble
as you can and see what happens.  Don't try to make excuses (unless
your wife was truly in labor in the car), don't be angry or indignant
or incredulous--the court and officers have heard and seen it all.
Just be polite and honest and reasonable as possible.  If you truly
thought the limit was faster, tell 'em that, that you hadn't seen a
speed limit sign for miles, and apologize for doing it.  (That is a
good way to handle the officer at the time you are pulled over, as
well.  Remember that more than anything the officer is scared silly
that you might be a felon on the run and greet them at the window with
a gun--the sooner you put the officer at ease, showing that you are
harmless and apologetic, the bigger the chance of just a warning.)  If
you have a perfect driving record, ask the judge if (s)he might take
that into consideration and consider a lesser offense or lower fine.
Then stop talking.  In Portland you have nothing to lose other than
your time in going to court, as they don't tack on any additional court
fees.  If you are looking at an additional $75 in Florida, maybe you'd
have to think more carefully about it.

That's my two cents.  Good luck!