Fwd: rejected submission

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Wed Aug 11 23:27:47 CDT 2004

Jim Wright wrote:

> Then stop talking.

I can't possibly bring myself to quote that whole thing,
but between the advice about being polite, apologetic,
and the above about doing just that, 'Then stop talking,'
is the best real advice I've *ever* seen about fighting a
speeding ticket as much as you can without talking yourself
into getting an example made of you.

I had a 95 in a 55 in NJ late one evening, and I explained
that my father had been in the emergency room that day
and I was very distracted.  It was shortly after I bought
my SE-R.  The prosecutor changed it to a non moving
violation after receiving a fax of the emergency room
admission form.  The insurance company still doesn't
believe it, but being over 25 and having no accidents in
the last 14 years keeps it cheap enough.  Besides,
comprehensive on a '92 Classic is a waste of time when
they total it out for $1000.

Anyway, enough digression, kudos to you Robert, for
tossing out that incredibly accurate take on the situation
from the law enforcement/judicial position which basically
seems to be in a nutshell, 'Don't screw with me, don't lie
to me, don't be an ass to me, and don't waste my time.'

I can dig that, and could easily imagine having exactly
that perspective if I was in that position.  As the speeder
we don't think that we're threatening, but I do feel for
law enforcement about being scared about a felon pointing
a gun at you as you walk up.  I've often felt it was a little
unreasonable to get treated like that by a cop walking up
with his hand on his gun, but *man*, the one time your
not careful, your dead, right?

Stay safe, and thanks again,

Peter

--