Was: Solo2 Nationals, Now: spec classes, prep, and learning to drive

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:26:06 -0500

Wayne Cox wrote:

> other cars in the class.  It was like being in "Spec Neon" class without
> the standard equipment (not that I wanted it.)  Now I hardly see any Neons
> on the road or at competitions.  Guess the POS all fell apart ;)

Part of the reason the Neons seem to be so good is that there's
manufacturer hopup parts that rock for them - like an ECU
that changes the redline to 7800.. Sure' there POS's, but at
least they have good factory support - (HELLLOOOOOO Nismo?)

I thought STS was the "Spec '89 CRX Si" class?  And
it seems that STX is the "Spec WRX" class..

Us poor Nissan guys just don't have the factory support
that the Neon's have, nor the update/backdate advantage
that the Honduh's have.  I'd say I'll be hard pressed to make
my SE-R good enough to kick butt on the local level, but I
think it will be if I can just learn to drive ;)  I still love my
cars, and wouldn't switch to another for the world.  I'm
going to have to live with -3/4 degree negative camber in
the rear though, until I'm willing to get some Ingalls links.

I'm not willing to change cars to be more competitive,
and properly tweaked/wheeled/rubbered I still think my
SE-R could smoke most of these local guys - hardly
anyone on the local level preps their car all that well,
the local guy who places really well in STS has NO
suspension mods whatsoever..  Just goes to show I
can't drive to save my own life on an autocross course,
of course the last couple times I tried, I did pretty bad
because I kicked my camber way negative, and therefore
kicked my toe way in.  I have hopes to do something this
weekend, I usually spend all day trying to find the
course, newbie racer that I am.  Wait, can you really call
autocross racing?  I suppose on the national level ;)

Later guys.
--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.