ThermoBlok spacers

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:27:27 -0500

Michael Jez said:

> Eighter way you look at it, the manifold bolts and studs will transfer
> the heat from the head to the intake manifold.

It will, but not nearly as much, at least not nearly as quickly.  Instead
of the manifold getting radiant heat seeping through the entire gasket
surface PLUS conductive heat from the bolts, it only absorbs heat through
the surface area of the bolts (a few square inches at MOST).  The manifold
is aluminum, which absorbs heat quickly, and the bolts are some kind of
steel, which doesn't transmit *quite* as quickly.

On a roadrace car, this is something to seriously consider, because heat
soak is a big issue.  For a bracket racer with 30+ minutes of cooldown
between run, not so much.  I doubt an autocrosser would notice any
difference at all.  But I'm a monkey.

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |