Header Repair (And: can you clean an oxygen sensor?)

David Pertuz davidpertuz@mindspring.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 12:17:42 -0500

>Since you mention it...  Is there any reliable way to weld up or otherwise
>repair cracked HS headers?  I have an original 1996 vintage set.  Besides

I have heard of it being done, but I don't know how effective it is
long-term. In mid-swap I ran up to Jay's house to use his bench grinder and
asked him about it, and his opinion was that it can be welded, but it's a
bit tough to weld and doesn't always last (or soemthing similar to that.)
If you got yours welded I would find someone with a TIG and skill (or,
better yet, mad skillz, yo! ;)

BTW, on my header, the weld crack had made a right turn and run along the
tube a couple of inches, though it was not (yet) all the way through. A
quick look at the header on my dad's car showed the same thing.

>I've heard of using an acetylene torch to burn off deposits.  I don't think
>an oven would get hot enough to do much good.

Hmm, I have a MAPP torch....

David