Header Repair (And: can you clean an oxygen sensor?)

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Tue, 6 May 2003 12:10:36 -0500

At 11:40 AM 5/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>...replaced my 6-year-old and cracked Gen3 HS header...

Since you mention it...  Is there any reliable way to weld up or otherwise
repair cracked HS headers?  I have an original 1996 vintage set.  Besides
the standard 1-4 crack, there's one along the bend of the #4 tube, right
out of the head flange.

I ground the ceramic off.  And drilled some small holes at the ends of the
cracks to stop them from running further.  Can any old welder fix 'em
up?  Or do I need someone with skill & a TIG?

>Can an oxygen sensor be cleaned the way a spark plug can, e.g. in a
>toaster oven...

I've heard of using an acetylene torch to burn off deposits.  I don't think
an oven would get hot enough to do much good.

    -Wayne  91 NK2k,  93 NX2k,  92 SE-R-Parts-Car