tires

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:44:30 -0600

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> I'd say use your stock wheels or a spare set of cheap rims and get dedicated
> snow tires.

Here, here.  Snows rule in snow, and don't seem to do horribly in ice.
I've got lots of both up here in Maine, it just dropped 5-6" last night,
and plenty of ice underneath.  Before I switched to snows, I went
off the road and barely managed to get back on without a decent tow
strap, now I have snows and don't need the tow strap except for
events as mandatory safety equipment.

I also found I like the balance of the car in snow quite a bit with more
more aggressive ones up front, if your only buying 2 new ones..

Can't properly describe how much fun it is handbraking in and
powering out around the corners around my block at 10-15mph..

Or, even better, doing slightly higher speed drift figure 8's in the
unused section of the local JC Penney's parking lot, or in the slightly
rough, but extremely nicely iced over parking lot of the local
ski mountain 4-5 days a week as I enter and exit..

Ice/snow is a blast with good tires.. Studs are completely
unnecessary, unless your ice racing..
--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.