5 mph rear end accident causes tons of damage......(kinda long)

J. Manes jjmanes@hotmail.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:00:56 -0500

I have a 1995 Nissan 200sx se-r with 113,875 miles on it.  I got rear ended
about 3 weeks ago by a Dodge Ram.  The guy basically drove into me while I
was leaving an intersection.  I was probably going not more then 5 mph.  Now
after the accident my trunk is not useable, I have a new exhaust in front of
cat, the impact snapped the exhaust at the welds right by the flange off the
exhaust manifold.  Since all this I have received a check from the other
guys insurance company and I then did pay off my car loan.  I was happy with
driving around a car that was paid off, I could settle for not being able to
use my trunk and the rear end of my car looking like crap.  But then a
couple days ago, as a matter of fact on Friday the 13th, I was pulling out
of a parking lot and my clutch went.  So I then had to pay $45 to get my car
towed to my apartment.  I talked to my mechanic and he stated that the
impact could have bent an axle and caused the clutch to not set flat causing
it to slip.  Of course I just got my clutch replaced only 19K miles ago.
The clutch I got put in was a Centerforce Dual Friction.  Now since the
damage is already close to totally out my car the insurance company will not
fix it.  I do not really want to fix my car cause even if I do get a new
clutch and maybe a new half-shaft my car still will only maybe be worth
$500.  I am just wondering if anyone would care to comment on what might
have happened to my clutch or any other sections I have talked about.  I am
debating whether to trade in my car for a push/pull/drag deal for a new
vehicle or to part out my car.   Thanks for any input/comments.

Jody