5 mph rear end accident causes tons of damage......(kinda long)

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:22:23 -0500

J. Manes wrote:

>I have a 1995 Nissan 200sx se-r with 113,875 miles on it.  I got rear ended
>about 3 weeks ago by a Dodge Ram.

Rammed by a Ram eh?

>a couple days ago, as a matter of fact on Friday the 13th, I was pulling out
>of a parking lot and my clutch went.
    <snip>
>I talked to my mechanic and he stated that the impact could have bent an
>axle and caused the clutch to not set flat causing it to slip.

I think your mechanic is wrong.  I cannot imagine how a halfshaft could
affect the clutch.  I *do* think the impact of the accident could have
caused something in the clutch to go bad.  Most likely it would be a spring
in the clutch hub or the crazy spring mechanism in the Centerforce
clutch.  You would have a very hard time IMHO proving it was due to the
accident however.

>I am just wondering if anyone would care to comment on what might
>have happened to my clutch or any other sections I have talked about.  I am
>debating whether to trade in my car for a push/pull/drag deal for a new
>vehicle or to part out my car.   Thanks for any input/comments.

Much as I hate to say so, I think you are right to look for other
transportation.  You *could* trade up to a classic. ;-)

Seriously though, it sounds like your car is pretty well worth about what
you could get by parting it out.  I'd recommend that avenue.  You might be
surprised what you could get for the parts if you have a place to part it
out and a method to dispose of it.  Don't forget to look into the disposal
before making your decision.  BTW a low port US engine is always in demand
- more so than a high port US engine (since JDM engines are also high port).

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>