Control Arm Fubar

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:42:57 -0500

Wayne wrote:

>Thanks for the replies on my alignment question earlier.  I got off my butt
>and jacked the thing up for a look.  Sure enuff -- the tow truck guy bent
>the crap out of one of the rear lateral links on the thing.

Did they look like this one (new and old)?
http://www.geocities.com/arcstarter/se-r/bentbars.jpg

I 'adjusted' mine via a high-speed reverse into a (previously invisible)
curb...

I want to warn you - the replacement of these bars looks easy.  But on my
machine this was one of the most frustrating parts extractions I'd ever had
to do.  The long bolt which runs through both links and the rear knuckle was
severely rusted into the link sleeves, and into the knuckle.  (remember -
both your car and mine have spent loong winters in Ohio!)  I did get
everything off, but not w/o the help of the oxy-burning blue wrench (torch),
large pipe wrench, hammer etc.  Had to heat the link sleeves red-hot to
expand enough to permit sliding off the rusty bolt.  Then I had to hammer
the bolt through the knuckle.  Loads of fun.

When you order the new link - I suggest ordering a new bolt and nut too - in
case you have to go "monkey doo-doo" on it...  Got Pro-Blast?

-Bill
'92 Classic