Control Arm Fubar

Mark Holden mnse-r@vectorworld.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:38:41 -0500

>I 'adjusted' mine via a high-speed reverse into a (previously invisible)
>curb...

I 'adjusted' mine via a BFH trying to remove the bushings :)

>I want to warn you - the replacement of these bars looks easy.  But on my
>machine this was one of the most frustrating parts extractions I'd ever had
>to do.

I bought new bolts for both of my rear knuckles, torched the
bushings, and heated everything up enough to hammer the bolt
until it came free.  Then I used a cut-off wheel to remove
the mushroomed end of the old bolt and put everything back
together with new hardware.  I advise not even messing
around with it.  Get the bolt, it's about $10.

>The long bolt which runs through both links and the rear knuckle was
>severely rusted into the link sleeves, and into the knuckle.  (remember -
>both your car and mine have spent loong winters in Ohio!)  I did get
>everything off, but not w/o the help of the oxy-burning blue wrench
(torch),

Right, air tools, large hammers, torches and replacement parts
are the key to this job.  Heck, you could even do the ES bushings
"while you're in there" since this is the worst part of the ES
install.  Of course, then you'd probably want to do both sides...

-Mark Holden