Help! My Car will not turn!?

Dan Thompson dthompson@adelphia.net
Sat, 4 May 2002 19:12:41 -0500

> After my first autox on the new tires (azenis) and suspension GC 325/ 275
> & AGX I have run into a problem:  the car wont turn.  It is snowplowing
> big time.
<snip>

It sounds like your front roll stiffness is too high.  It also sounds
*exactly* like what I experienced on my '93 after I installed my Shockteks
with 300/225 springs and ES bushings.

The problems was that the front sway bar bushings (the ones that go in the
clamps that hold the bar to the underside of the car, not the end link
bushings) were molded incorrectly and didn't allow the bar to rotate
semi-freely when the sway bar brackets were tightened.  FWIW, other list
members have experienced this as well.

The solution was to get several flat washers (don't know the size, just took
the bolts to the hardware store and found ones that fit and had the smallest
O.D.) and place them between the bracket and the body.  I believe I used two
per bolt, though YMMV.

As an aside, I ran my car with the sway bars disconnected for two years
before fixing the problem.  It didn't handle all that badly and had better
than stock roll stiffness.  Now that the (stock) bars are connected again
medium-speed corner four wheel drifts are a twitch of the foot away. :-D

Good luck!

Dan