speedvision world challenge

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:04:29 -0600

Khiem, <spdracer@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Well, I've been home visiting the parents and they have Speedvision!!!
>Anywayz, was watching the world challenge and I'm thinking we really need
>to get an SE-R in there.

Care to sponsor someone? :-)

>Looking at the rules, Civic Si's are limited to SAE net 200 hp and 130
>lb-ft torque.  SE-R's are allowed 220hp and 160 lb-ft with 11.5:1 compression
>ratio.

Are you certain that is a de facto limit, or just an estimate of the
power.  I read it as an estimate of the power.  I don't know how they would
effectively limit the power appropriately.

>The rules listed are for a 95-00 SE-R/G20, but I'd think the rules for
>the motor would apply to the Classic too.  The Classic is lighter than the
>200sx I think.... and it has the better rear suspension.

The 200SX is lighter.  The classic does have a better
suspension.  But...   But the 200SX has a stiffer chassis.  That is a big
plus.  Can you use structural foam and/or seam welding in SVTC?  I couldn't
find that in the rules.

>So how much do you guys think it'd cost to build up a car?  $3k
>suspension, $2k brakes, $5k motor, $1.6k wheels, and then tons of small
>things like clutch, motor mounts, polyurethane bushing everything,
>rollcage, some lexan windows, carbon fiber or fiberglass body parts where
>allowed, fuel cell, fire extingusher system, racing seat, harness......
>assuming you have a car already.... $25k? total for the car?

Not a bad estimate for a budget effort.  Roger Foo's car is for sale for
$25,000.  I think the suspension could be done for $3k, but the competitive
cars probably have a $10k suspension.  Well, they probably don't spend
quite that much since they probably make a lot of things themselves such as
swaybars and mounts, spherical rod end pick-up points, CC plates, etc.  A
set of Koni 2817 struts run $6k.  Oh, and you can run remove reservoir
dampers.  God only knows how much a set of Penskes would run.

Brakes could actually be done for under $1,500 for all 4 corners including
SS lines.  Engine is probably a good estimate for a budget engine, although
I think one could be built for less.  Since there isn't a lot that can be
done to it, including requiring cast pistons, and port matching only 1"
in.  I think that the SCCA would have to allow a different cam from the
spec cam to make decent power.

Think 3 full sets of wheels (two sets for drys and one for wets - minimum).

>When watching the races, I wasn't too impressed with the driving.

ROTFLMAO!  They are worse than the rednecks at the local dirt tracks.  I
can't believe the shit that passes for professional (though all closed
wheel series seem to be like that).

>Ahh... I want to race...

How about crewing until you're out of school? :-)

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>