speedvision world challenge

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:38:12 -0600

Well, I've been home visiting the parents and they have Speedvision!!!
Anywayz, was watching the world challenge and I'm thinking we really need to
get an SE-R in there.  Roger Foo who drives an older civic si hatchback won
the race a Laguna last year and he's doing it pretty much on his own.

Looking at the rules, Civic Si's are limited to SAE net 200 hp and 130 lb-ft
torque.  SE-R's are allowed 220hp and 160 lb-ft with 11.5:1 compression
ratio.  The rules listed are for a 95-00 SE-R/G20, but I'd think the rules for
the motor would apply to the Classic too.  The Classic is lighter than the
200sx I think.... and it has the better rear suspension.  Hell, even the 200sx
would fair well I think.  The power advantage allowed to the SE-R's should
make it competitive.  The Integra Type R's are limited to 195hp and once the
cars are all stripped, a classic and type R should be comperable in weight
giving a big power advantage to the SE-R.

Lots of races on the east coast though..... maybe I should find a job in
Florida:)  So how much do you guys think it'd cost to build up a car?  $3k
suspension, $2k brakes, $5k motor, $1.6k wheels, and then tons of small things
like clutch, motor mounts, polyurethane bushing everything, rollcage, some
lexan windows, carbon fiber or fiberglass body parts where allowed, fuel cell,
fire extingusher system, racing seat, harness...... assuming you have a car
already.... $25k? total for the car?

When watching the races, I wasn't too impressed with the driving.  Lots of
spinning out and going off track.  Still badass drivers but not as great as I
thought they'd be.  Ahh... I want to race...

Khiem