check-in - what are you driving?

George Roffe groffe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:53:49 EST 2018

Ugh.  Once I removed The Beast from my SE-R in 1999 it never moved again.
I had planned to restore it, but one day, while working on another car, I
saw a piece of rust fall off it, and at that point I realized I'd have to
replace too damned much stuff.  Wasn't worth it, even though I was the
original owner and wanted to keep it forever.  The engine was donated to
our LeMons SE-R after we blew the engine in that in the last stint of the
day.  Drove about two hours from the track to my house and dropped the
original engine from the car (I had already reinstalled it intending on
reviving it).  Grover and I were about ready to drop it when the boys
showed up with the race car.  They started working on dropping that while
we finished dropping the engine from my car.  Midnight engine swap in not
too many hours.  I'm sure the neighbors loved the work lights.  The next
day the car ran like a scalded cat with the low mass flywheel, JWT PP, and
low mass pulleys.  The difference off the corners was amazing.  Sometime
later I'm told it gave up the ghost as well.

Today's driver is my 1998 M Roadster, which I just woke up after a 4 year
slumber.  My usual DD is a 2001 BMW 325iT (the T indicates touring, or
wagon).

George Roffe
Turd Rex