Wayne Cox

John McGinn amruginn-nx2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 09:47:29 EDT 2015

Well, I'm one of the few that met Wayne Cox, apparently.

Met him here in the Dayton, Ohio area, and went over to his place once or twice while he was working on doing something to 1 of his cars. I think he was doing back struts or springs. At one time, I couldn't get the lugnut off my car, so I took it up to his place, and he couldn't get it off either, well, until he got out his breaker bar. I needed to get a new hub at that point. :) He explained about the clutch cable and how to tighten it, which helped when I got my NX from a Columbus, OH dealer, and I had to practically stand up with all my force to change gears. A new clutch cable later, it was like butter.

Would meet him down at Kil-Kare Speedway doing test and tunes once or twice as well.

His GF at the time (future wife in 2001, then future ex-wife in 2010) had a powder blue NX as well. He also pulled the rug out from under me when I was interested in a getting an NX off of Craigslist. He acted all nonchalant then when I said I decided against it, he said that he had already gotten it.

I think he is also the one that decided to slalom orange cones on I75 back in the day up to the Toledo SE-R meet where we autocrossed at the Chrysler plant.

He eventually moved to South Carolina, I believe, and I had lost touch with him. The last I emailed him was in 2011, apparently, when I was getting rid of my red NX. One of those guys where you can just pick up right where you left off with.

So sad to hear this. God Speed Wayne. Make sure St Peter knows how to modify his timing. :)

John McGinn
Dayton, Ohio
(ex-96 SE-R, ex-1991 NX2000, current-2008 Mazda3 Hatchback)