Rotors, good/bad brands

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 11 17:07:47 CDT 2013

On 3/11/2013 10:38 AM, Jim Wright wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm about to replace the front rotors on my '06 Sentra SE-R Spec V, the fronts are warped and one has a hairline crack, original owner drove the cheap out of it.
>
> Looking for brands to avoid, what brands are decent.  Probably staying with plain rotors, not slotted or drilled.  PEP boys has a Platinum model that looks decent, but checking for other opinions on brands.

I'd also suggest Tire Rack -- they don't sell any junk. (well, they have
caved and offer some cheap junk tires.) Amazon also has dang near
ANYTHING you want to buy at killer prices.

Brembo makes fantastic rotors and T.R. offers them for almost any car.
In contrast to cheap rotors from your FLAPS, with a lathe turned
surface, run out, and anti-corrision goop that you have to clean off the
Brembos are a beautiful non-directional blanchard-ground finish, are
flat, and have no goop.

Haven't tried the Centric brand mentioned, but saw they have ones with a
non-corrosion finish on the "hat" and edges which seems cool. Hate that
rust they get otherwise. And Akebono (sp?) is the OEM for all the "AD-"
model brakes you find on Nissans and many other manufacturers.

I've ordered parts from RockAuto a few times and never had any trouble
with them; sorry to hear you experienced otherwise, KL. They have a wide
selection and offer body parts and other stuff you don't usually find at
retail parts places.

Last brake job I did was Mom's BMW 530 last Labor Day weekend. Found
what looked like a great deal on Brembo rotors from Amazon and received
them no prob. Go to work on it, and I'd gotten the REAR ones! DOH! Not
used to seeing big-ass vented rear rotors. Note to self - read the fine
print on the web site more thoroughly. Amazon's descriptions aren't real
clear on front vs rear, but if they have accurate pics it's pretty
obvious on FWD parts. SO it's Friday night holiday weekend, and I'm dead
in the water until dealer opens Tuesday, or I wait on parts to be
shipped. I grudgingly bought "WearEver" rotors from an Advance Auto that
was the only retail source within 50+ miles. And... the fokkers are now
warped! And Mom does NOT drive the car hard. They're just junk apparently.

Would be curious to know more about the Spec v, Jim. Was looking at a
couple used ones. Need new wheels ASAP, and unfortunately am shopping in
the "real cheap" range. Thought I'd have something nicer than a shiny
new SE-R like I did @ 25 in 1991 but my financial shit hit the fan.

-Wayne