Starter problems

Wade Jackson srwadet at cox.net
Thu Oct 6 08:14:33 CDT 2011

What are the symptoms of a bad diode?  I was monitoring alternator voltage while the dash warning lights were on, and the Techtom always showed 14+ volts.  It's a brand new Hitachi rebuilt alternator ($240).  These usually last us awhile compared to the rebuilds that you get from Advance.  We also build a little heat shield between the header and alternator.  My transponder also lost power during my last race.  Maybe this could happen with a bad battery plus a bad alternator?  I'll definitely have a spare at the track and keep and eye on it.  And bring a battery charger.  Thanks!

Wade