B15, odd clunk noise

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:07:58 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Jim Wright <wrightj at apple.com> wrote:

> Hey all.  Got an issue that just started in my '06 Spec V.  Kinda hard to describe, kind of a single 'clunk' noise at odd times.  I might hear it backing out of the driveway, going slow down the street, but can't hear it when going at highway speed.  Tried to listen with the windows down, but still couldn't pinpoint it.  Definitely coming from the front, can't decide which side, seems very close to the firewall.  Seems to happen when speed changes (something shifting?), but not really tied to the transmission shifting, or bumps.

Close to the firewall sounds like a motor mount. Backing down the
driveway seems to reinforce this. I don't know, because I never messed
with a QR25 car. Replacing the motor mounts on the cradle should be
pretty easy. That transmission has a cable-operated shifter, doesn't
it? That wouldn't make that kind of noise...

--

Why, yes, I *can* cross-thread a ketchup bottle.