Recalls (was: 20 Years)

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 5 11:02:46 CDT 2011

On 4/4/2011 3:49 PM, Matt Hunt wrote:
> It still bugs me that Nissan never issued a proper recall for 5th gear
> popout. I affected me twice, on a '91 and a '92.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a company to fix their products
forever.  Cars came with little to no warranty up until the 80s I think.
  Hell, in the 70s I remember is was miraculous if a car even lasted to
100k.  Nissan's 5 year / 60,000 mile powertrain warranty was generous at
the time and would have covered the problem had it occurred within the
period.

Car manufacturers typically are not going to issue a recall unless it's
a safety issue, or really damaging to their public image.  So... your
(our) sub-$15k econobox's transmission had a partial failure at 150,000
miles?  It sucks, but I can't rally bitch all that much about it.

Nissan is more generous than a lot of others, actually.  My dad has a
2005 Frontier that suffered a common fuel level sending unit failure and
they are covering those out of warranty and even issuing refunds if you
paid for it previously.  Same with a couple other Nissan problems recently.

-Wayne