auto-x (was Re: racing helmet)

Jon turboser3006 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 24 22:32:41 CDT 2009

I went to the auto-x this weekend. I suppose I should share how I got
there. I was playing GTA4 when it occurred to me a real car would be a
lot more fun. Part of the allure of auto-x (for me) is I can try some
possibly stupid things and the probability of something catastrophic is
near nil. I didn't even clip a cone the whole day. In trying some stupid
things, I like to think I learn something about my car and/or driving in
general that may save my bacon some day. I really want to explore the
limits of my car a bit in a safe, controlled and legal environment...

I had met a coworker who was there driving a Subaru WRX. He was in front
of me on the grid and we were driving our 4th and final run. As I'm
driving about half way through the course, I get red flagged... and it
turns out my coworker had wrecked into a light pole. Noone was
injured... the pole won the contest however and I don't think the WRX
will see the road again. It started to catch fire and they hosed that
chemical powder all through it. I think in the end it was bad course
design, there were several other cars that got close to that pole. The
way it was set up there was a pretty fast slalom at the finish and cars
tended to get sideways there and head for the pole. The incident really
wrecked my mood along with it. I got a rerun, but I just wasn't as into
it. I think he is also going to have a hard time with insurance...

Jon Davis