racing helmet

Tim Rogers timprogers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:39:09 CDT 2009

*Rick wrote:*
*IMO, don't buy a helmet with a snell rating. Snell has too rigid of
standards on G forces and to get that standard, the manufacturer needs to
use Styrofoam that is too rigid and won't crush enough and slow the
deacceleration of your brain properly.*

Rick wrote the above as a matter of opinion.  Unless Rick wants to let us
know which part of the safety equipment industry he is in and has the
numerical test data to prove the above statement, I suggest that everyone
ignore that statement.

The reason for the upgrading of the stiffness of the foam is this; the foam
in the older helmets actually compressed too much and let the head
essentially come in contact with the shell.  Since the usage of the helmet
is based on the idea of the helmet striking something solid (roll bar,
steering wheel, door frame, etc.) then the head was basically striking that
solid object.  The stiffer foam does a better job of not over compressing
and cusions the load better in high G impact situations.  Just because the
newer Snell rated helmets give better protection in high G impacts does not
mean they give worse protection in low G impacts.

I know the Snell rating system may not be perfect for every accident /
equipment scenario but right now, it is the best we have.

Tim Rogers

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Frey, Richard K <rfrey at iupui.edu> wrote:

> The advice saying you need to try on helmets is right on.  Brand is
> insignificant really.  Fit is more important.  When trying on helmets, grab
> the back of the helmet and see if you can peel it off, forward over your
> head.  You'd be surprised at how many helmets can be pulled off that way.
>  If you can, obviously it isn't going to work for you.  IMO, don't buy a
> helmet with a snell rating. Snell has too rigid of standards on G forces and
> to get that standard, the manufacturer needs to use Styrofoam that is too
> rigid and won't crush enough and slow the deacceleration of your brain
> properly.  The motorcycle guys have debated this for awhile and seem to
> prefer DOT or European standards.  Interestingly, Snell 2010 standards have
> been relaxed to conform to DOT and European standards, therefore, requiring
> softer Styrofoam.  They had to succumb to the argument that their Styrofoam
> was too stiff.  Snell 2010 helmets are supposed to be out in October '09.
>  Avoid Snell unless its 2010 s
>  tandards.  Zues, Shark, HJC, Zox, Scorpion are brands that come in for
> lower prices, check 'em out.  Obviously, protect your brain, but spending
> money on the name brands doesn't necessarily do that.  ECE (euro) standards
> are the most certain but harder to find here the States.  If it meets those
> it is a proper helmet IMO. If I were buying a helmet today, I'd seek the ECE
> standard, they're available here.  If you can wait for Snell 2010 you'd get
> the safety that is advertised, something a DOT rating might not provide.  I
> am also a fan of the plastic shells rather than fiberglass or carbon fiber.
> They're cheaper and dent rather than fracture.  You can buy a lot of
> protection for not much cash these days.
>
> The graphics are  up to you,  :)
>
> rick

Tim