racing helmet

Frey, Richard K rfrey at iupui.edu
Mon Aug 24 08:48:56 CDT 2009

The advice saying you need to try on helmets is right on.  Brand is insignificant really.  Fit is more important.  When trying on helmets, grab the back of the helmet and see if you can peel it off, forward over your head.  You'd be surprised at how many helmets can be pulled off that way.  If you can, obviously it isn't going to work for you.  IMO, don't buy a helmet with a snell rating. Snell has too rigid of standards on G forces and to get that standard, the manufacturer needs to use Styrofoam that is too rigid and won't crush enough and slow the deacceleration of your brain properly.  The motorcycle guys have debated this for awhile and seem to prefer DOT or European standards.  Interestingly, Snell 2010 standards have been relaxed to conform to DOT and European standards, therefore, requiring softer Styrofoam.  They had to succumb to the argument that their Styrofoam was too stiff.  Snell 2010 helmets are supposed to be out in October '09.  Avoid Snell unless its 2010 standards.  Zues, Shark, HJC, Zox, Scorpion are brands that come in for lower prices, check 'em out.  Obviously, protect your brain, but spending money on the name brands doesn't necessarily do that.  ECE (euro) standards are the most certain but harder to find here the States.  If it meets those it is a proper helmet IMO. If I were buying a helmet today, I'd seek the ECE standard, they're available here.  If you can wait for Snell 2010 you'd get the safety that is advertised, something a DOT rating might not provide.  I am also a fan of the plastic shells rather than fiberglass or carbon fiber. They're cheaper and dent rather than fracture.  You can buy a lot of protection for not much cash these days.

The graphics are  up to you,  :)

rick