racing helmet

George Roffe geo31 at suddenlink.net
Mon Aug 24 09:08:57 CDT 2009

OK, let's cut through some things here. Helmets are a passion for me (one saved my life).
First of all, in the US, if you are going to compete you are going to need a Snell or a FIA rated helmet, almost without exception (the exceptions will be exceedingly rare).
There is an idea out there that car helmets are designed for multiple impacts and bike helmets are designed for sliding impacts. That is not necessarily the case and in some cases the same shell is used for both an M and an SA rated helmet. The only difference is the tests required to get each rating and mostly likely both types of helmets could pass each impact test required of both ratings. There are differences in requirements and those can be found on the Snell web site.
I'm aware of the concern of motorbike riders regarding testing and design of the helmets and one of the bike mags had a GREAT article about bike helmets and design and the ways in which Snell fails the motorbike rider. It's worth looking up.
Snell ratings come out generally every 5 years. Usually they come out late in the year of the rating, i.e., a 2010 rating usually comes out late in 2010, so the 2010 rating coming out in late 2009 is unusual. The sanctioning bodies *usually* allow the current rating and the next oldest for amateur racing. Pro racing almost always requires only the latest rating. That said, helmets should be replaced LONG before they are 10 years old. I have a good Bell SA rated helmet whose padding totally deteriorated long before it was 10 years old. Pretty sobering.
George Roffe
Crash Test Dummy and Helmet Tester

---- JaretR1 at aol.com wrote:

=============
I think the Snell ratings are kinda bogus. They seem to change every
year, and with every year it seems sanctioning bodies (or insurance companies
that insure these groups) require the most recent Snell rating to participate
in their events. Before buying a non Snell rated helmet, make sure the
group you will be racing with will allow it. Seems this is a way to make
people buy new helmet every few years.

Keep in mind a few things (that I have not seen anyone mention), it is my
understanding that some motorcycle helmets are not designed for multiple
impacts (just one major impact) where auto racing helmets are designed for
multiple impacts as well as motorcycle helmets may not be designed to retard
flame while auto racing helmets will.

The last time I went to auto cross, Iwent to my local club with my mint
Bell helmet with its outdated Snell 85 rating. The club required Snell 95 or
above at the time. I was forced to borrow a helmet that met this
qualification yet did not remotely fit me, way to big. How ridiculous is that? I
mentioned this to the club president and he said "its what our insurance
carrier requires". So rather than wearing a helmet that was in perfect
condition and fit me like a glove, I wore a helmet with a higher rating yet was
so loose it would have done nothing to protect my head, yet this was ok.

Check with the group, club or sanctioning body to find out what is required
of your helmet before you buy one.

Jaret

In a message dated 8/24/2009 9:49:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,