racing helmet

JaretR1 at aol.com JaretR1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 08:57:58 CDT 2009

I think the Snell ratings are kinda bogus.  They seem to change every
year, and with every year it seems sanctioning bodies (or insurance companies
that insure these groups) require the most recent Snell rating to participate
in  their events.  Before buying a non Snell rated helmet, make sure the
group  you will be racing with will allow it.  Seems this is a way to make
people  buy new helmet every few years.

Keep in mind a few things (that I have not seen anyone mention), it is my
understanding that some motorcycle helmets are not designed for multiple
impacts  (just one major impact) where auto racing helmets are designed for
multiple  impacts as well as motorcycle helmets may not be designed to retard
flame while  auto racing helmets will.

The last time I went to auto cross, Iwent to my local club with my mint
Bell helmet with its outdated Snell 85 rating.  The club required Snell 95  or
above at the time.  I was forced to borrow a helmet that met this
qualification yet did not remotely fit me, way to big.  How ridiculous is  that?  I
mentioned this to the club president and he said "its what our  insurance
carrier requires".  So rather than wearing a helmet that was in  perfect
condition and fit me like a glove, I wore a helmet with a higher rating  yet was
so loose it would have done nothing to protect my head, yet this was  ok.

Check with the group, club or sanctioning body to find out what is required
 of your helmet before you buy one.

Jaret

In a message dated 8/24/2009 9:49:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,