'91 SE-R A/C issues

Kieran A. Lavin kieran at kieranlavin.com
Fri May 8 08:21:08 CDT 2009

I meant to reply to Darren last night... guess I forgot

Ray, you wrote:

>> replaced.  It seemed that the different refrigerant would react badly
>> with the original rings, or something.

> Most of the recharge kits you see now say on them compatible with all R12 rings, seals and oils.   So no need to do any of
> this.

Yeah, I don't think there's really any issue of the R12 and R134 being used with the same o-rings.  Of all the o-rings I played with and replaced with my wife's NX a few years ago, I didn't notice any of them with wear and tear that would indicate disintegrating

>> I would tend to say that if you're removing all of the original
>> refrigerant anyway, might as well change the rings while you have the
>> chance.

> What are there like 15 of them?

Something like that.  There were a LOT.  I know I got an o-ring kit from an auto parts place and I think I even needed two of them because they didn't have enough of the one size.  And in the end I was cursing myself for wanting to replace the o-rings.  Like I said, some of the connections were real fussy.  I don't know if that's normal or just because it was me but they wanted to be tightened EXACTLY right.  Too tight and the o-ring slipped out of place and you got a leak.  Too loose and the o-ring didn't seat and you had a leak.  I can't tell you how many cans of refrigerant I went through trying to get all of the damned o-rings to seat properly (and probably contributed significantly to global warming - take that Al Gore!)  The only way to tell was once the system was back together to try to fill it and look/listen for leaks.  I'd definitely stick with the better left alone theory on this one.

Jim wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that you will, or else your system will have too much
>> air, and not enough refrigerant.
I don't ever remember evacuating the system.  Just filled it up.  I think I might've purged some 'air bubbles' too when I overfilled it and needed to back off the pressure via the high pressure line

kieran