'91 SE-R A/C issues

Raymond A. Kawski rkawski at e-rak.com
Fri May 8 08:04:22 CDT 2009

Jim wrote:

> replaced.  It seemed that the different refrigerant would react badly
> with the original rings, or something.

Most of the recharge kits you see now say on them compatible with all R12 rings, seals and oils.   So no need to do any of this.

> I would tend to say that if you're removing all of the original
> refrigerant anyway, might as well change the rings while you have the
> chance.

What are there like 15 of them?

> I'm pretty sure that you will, or else your system will have too much
> air, and not enough refrigerant.

Well if you are going to to change to R134 yes you will have to evacuate the R12.  However I thought Darren said he already lost the R12 so if its gone nothing else he needs to do but fix the leak and charge.

> The oil is part of the refrigerant, generally it isn't necessary to
> add more when adding refrigerant. But since you're converting, you may

Most recharge kits have oil already in the can with the refrigerant.

> in it, and as part of the conversion, the old oil was to be drained.

Again not necessary anymore.   Go to Wal-mart and get a kit.  Get the one with the gauge on it.  If it only comes with one can of gas get a second if your system is empty.

> I have no idea if I still have those old instructions out in the
> garage or not, I'll have to give a look this evening.

1.) On our cars first you will need an R12 to R134 adapter.
2.) Start the car and put fan on atleast 1 and the A/C switch on
3.) Once you have that screw the adapter onto the low pressure hose fitting towards the firewall.     Then screw the can on.
4.) Shake the can up then puncture the can to start the gas flowing.
5.) Rather quickly you should hear the compressor kick on.   Continue to shake the can.
6.) From empty you will need two cans of R134 to fill the system.   You will need to rev the engine up to 4-5K to get the refrigerant to empty out of the can and to fill to the proper level. The llight blue area on the gauge.
7.) Check for leaks.

This is the process that works the best for our cars and my 380K compressor is working like a charm after I filled it up after a year of being empty.

RK