diagnosing a mystery current drain

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 23:26:40 CST 2008

So....I hook my meter up in series with the ground terminal, and I get
no current reading. Zero point zero zero. ?!??

I pull out various fuses (ignition off, key out) and check for current
across the various fuse terminals, and I get no current. ?!?

Meter is on 10A circuit. I don't know how to verify that my meter is
working correctly with the power end in the 10A post, but it works
normally otherwise, so am assuming it works normally there too. Nothing
handy I can hook it up to with a known current in it to check.

Battery has been fine now for a couple of days when not hooked up, so
it's not the battery.

This stuff (electrical diagnostics) makes me feel like a total dumb***
but methodical thinking has at least gotten me somewhere over the years.

Other electrical:
-tacho doesn't work (rather, it works incorrectly), rest of cluster is fine.
-cranking during start has been rather week since late spring or so. I
can't remember what may have happened or been done, if anything, that it
went from a strong crank to a weak crank.
-I did have an unexpected-dead-car episode last year some time (I'd
forgotten about it but my GF remembered)
-defroster and hazards work
-fog lamps do not work. I never use them, so I don't know how long this
may have been the case. But I know they used to work.

I would really like to drive this car to Detroit this weekend. But I
don't want to have to disconnect the battery all the time. Sigh.

David