Numerically LOWER Final Drive?

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 7 15:20:02 CDT 2008

Greg Amy wrote:
> Anyone out there aware of a numerically *lower* final drive than our 4.176:1 in the B13? Or, possibly better, a numerically lower 5th gear than the 0.76?
>
> I've got a VVL in the NX, and it's a hoot. However, at 70-75 mph the engine is rolling along at a 3600+ RPM. There's really no need for that: the VVL (and, really, even the regular ole DE) is plenty flexible, with lots of low-end torque, that it really doesn't need to be up there on the highway. Something that can lower the revs 500 or so (the more the better) would be nicer for cruising along.

That's something I ALWAYS wanted in the B13 since I got my first one --
crikey -- nearly 17 years ago.  Keep 1 to 4 right where they are for
good acceleration, then have 5th just drop way the hell off for a
highway gear.

The G20 has a lower final drive that might be swappable.  I'd guess the
ring gear would bolt in, but I don't know if the layshaft's output gear
is a compatible or identical diameter;  and I'm pretty sure it's
integral to the shaft and not swappable.  The input- and layshaft 5th
gears do come off;  wonder if the G20's is any lower?

   -Wayne