Avoid JGY like the PLAGUE!!

mike kojima choaderboy2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 00:13:47 CDT 2007

--- Kevin Hart <bowlcut at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not about winning HP prize.  Its about being able to
> tune it when you
> want to.  Say you go and upgrade your injectors in
> prep for a bigger
> turbo, for example.  You have to pay 100 bucks more
> and wait who knows
> how long to get your JWT retuned.  CalumSult ECU,
> you can twiddle with
> your injector values that day and be running again.
> Sure you can blow
> your motor, but you can blow it by cranking the
> boost up without
> adding more fuel...people do it every day.

Thats all fine if you know what you are doing when it
comes to tuning.  In my opinion most people who say
they can cannot, especialy when it comes to high
powered turbo car or even just turbo cars in general.

Nearly every turbo car that blows blows because of
tuning issues.

So Kevin do you tune? I hope you do if you are giving
people advice with engine managment desisons.

> > Overpriced?
>
> Yup.  It is safe, Yup you bet.  Is it 'pig rich',
> good chance.  And
> Ray, what about cold start hesitation???  ;)
>
> -Kevin

Every so called JWT sucks pig rich car I ever trobule
shot including ones with the so called troublesome 4
bar program had their problems caused by issues other
than the ecu, everyone blames the ecu and then people
jump on the band weagon.  Pig rich has been caused in
cars I have fixed by poor quality FPR's, innacuate
gauges, open or leaking BOV's. bad ignitions, bad or
improperly installed MAF's bad plug wires, people not
knowing that their engines were actualy too lean or
just assuming that they were running pig rich from
readfing crap on forums or beliveing inaccurate
dynojet widebands.

> p.s.  Just giving ya a hard time as usual, no hard
> feelings.  JWT is a
> good product.  It has now lagged behind.  If Wolf
> would have put some
> time into it, and the programs they sell to the
> general public, I
> wouldnt think the way I do.  JWT could have done a
> RealTime board but
> that doesnt make good business sense to them.  I am
> a HUGE supporter
> of open source, and Calum has went about his process
> in that sort of
> mindset.  To give the community the tools to do what
> they want to
> their cars, not to rely on one source and only one
> source.  We are all
> driving up to 16 year old cars which all product
> development has
> almost ended on.  So anything is a good thing at
> this point.  JWT ECU
> is great for someone that doesnt plan to change
> anything major on
> their car, or if they do can take the down time from
> shipping their
> ECU's.  One benefit you get from any stock like
> Nissan ECU is the
> ability of the ECU to compensate for things.  A
> standalone that rely
> on a MAP needs to be tuned for things like, if you
> drive up a mountain
> and the air gets really thin.  I am glad JWT still
> trys to support the
> community, but for bang for your buck, a CalumSult
> RealTime is well
> worth it.

If you have a real weideband (innovate is the only one
worth a hoot), access to a dyno, experiance and
brainpower a calum ECU is probably a good deal.
Realisticaly most people are missing several of the
aformentioned resourses.

At one time JWT was considering offering a user
programable system but did not because of the
potential support nightmare it might generate.

I think they are very few people who can beat JWT's
conservative off the shelf tuning.

If they could they would be many people who would make
more than my 527 whp at only 20 psi classic with an
off the shelf JWT ECU pr my 204 all motors DE also
with an off the shelf JWT ECU.

So Kevin unless you have a great deal of experaince as
a tuner and builder of sucessful cars, maybe you
should not be giving advice for engine managment to an
owner of a turbo car.