Nitrogen filled tires & tires for sale spam

Mark Holden mark at mnautosport.com
Sat Jun 24 19:21:08 CDT 2006

The benefit is that nitrogen is "dry" and doesn't have the water vapor
that's in your typical compressed air.

The water vapor condenses out when cold, and then turns back to vapor
when heated up.  So the more water that's in a tire, the larger the
expansion is under heat, so the more the pressure swing is between cold
and hot tires.

On the street it makes zero difference.  On the track, it may have a
slight advantage, but it's still arguable.  And the second you use
compressed air to adjust the pressure, you've introduced water anyhow.
A lot of serious racers use nitrogen, but it has more to do with the
ease of getting a high pressure bottle that can inflate tires and
operate air tools for quite a while without any need for power.