replace timing chain?

Raymond Kawski sr20de at e-rak.com
Thu Jun 8 21:50:20 CDT 2006

At 08:20 PM 6/8/2006, Steve Hirsch wrote:

> >curious of peoples' opinions here about whether it's ok to continue
> >using the original chain (assuming there's nothing obviously wrong
> >with it), or if it's worthwhile to replace the chain itself also?

On Thu,  8 Jun 2006 20:40:34 -0500, wmc2004aug replied:

> Common opinion on the list for years has been that the chain is "good
> for the life of the engine".  Which is kind of a chicken and egg

Snip:

> 3 chain failures on the list in - what? - 12 or 13 years?

Just replace the tensioner and don't worry about it.  You have practicaly no
miles on that motor.  My SE-R is currently at 375,000 miles on the original
motor and it's 2nd tensioner.  It had the original tensioner for the first
330,000 miles.

I know of many 200K SE-R's with the original tensioner.  The chain is
literally maintenance free and should last the life of the motor.  Shit the
chain and motor will outlast the chassis!

RK
--
Raymond A. Kawski