Starter problems

Lawrence Weeks lweeks at anabasis.net
Sat Apr 1 11:39:10 CST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Ben Fenner wrote:

> As far as starter problems go, because of my past experience, I always
> recommend taking a serious look at the electrical wiring responsible.
> Especially the engine grounds.

And I'll share my experience again. Car wouldn't start from time to
time, either clicking or silence. Got worse... had to push start it a
few times. Pulled the starter, put in one I tested and knew was good.
Worked fine for a couple weeks, then same problem again. I then
thought about wiring, and realized that the starter grounds through
the mating surface with the block. Removed the starter, cleaned the
block surface nice and shiny, reinstalled, started perfect every time
afterward.

So I'd say check the electrical path. Check grounds and wiring, clean
the block and the starter mating surfaces. Bench test the starter!
Clamp it down, and use a battery and cables to hook it up and
activate it. Also, you can take it apart, clean it, and have the
brushes replaced. My brushes weren't worn that much, but I had them
replaced "while I was in there." Like $20 at a starter/alternator
rebuild shop.

Larry
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd