Starter problems

Darren Calbero DarrenC at ampartners.com
Sat Apr 1 03:33:00 CST 2006

Ok, here a riddle.

For the past 3 years, I've had problems starting my car.  Not all the time, but maybe 40% of the time.  At times it would start up quickly when the key is turned, other times it would just click . . . and click  . . . and click . . . and . . .   Now the amount of times I turn the key and get a click before the starter kicks in can vary anywhere from 1 to 40.  When the starter does engage, it starts the engine up quite briskly, no struggling.  Sounds like the starter?

I bought one of those portable/rechargable jumper units just in case and hey, it was on sale.  I'm a car guy, I buy stuff for my car, sometimes even when I don't really need it.  Anyway, if I were to attach it to my battery, the car starts up quickly on the first try, every time.  No click click click click . . .

I have a volt meter and I also have used my techtom to watch the electrical system.  Before this problem started, the meter would read a bit under 14v but it would be steady.  Now, the voltage will vary anywere between 14 and a bit under 12 while idling and dependent upon head lights, fogs, wiper, radio, brake lights, turn signal, vent fan (A/C not working ATM but should be soon).  When I do get on the gas and driving around, the voltage will swing back to between 13 and 14 but it will be steady.

I recently installed one of 4 grounding wires between the battery and the driver's side front fender.  This *seems* to have help reduce the instances of hard starts a bit, but really, this may just be a figment of my imagination much like my butt dyno.

Have I changed the starter?  No, I would rather not do that, purely out of laziness.  It is afterall, not the easiest of things to replace on the SR20.  Cost of replacing could be a factor but hey, I just spent $750 on new A/C stuff so I really can't justify that excuse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TIA

DC