personal dilemma, and starter removal

Wayne wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 16 12:12:36 CST 2006

At 12:58 PM 1/16/2006, David Pertuz wrote:
>I am finally trying to replace the starter on my garage queen. I
>picked up a used B14 starter from a forum member in Atlanta. Alas, I
>am having some difficulty. Both bolts are out, but that b**ch won't budge

Like Matt said, make sure you've got the correct bolts.   They're
long (about 5") and skinny, and only have a 14mm head.  The tranny
bolts around there are all 17mm, and more short and thick.  Also make
sure the battery is disconnected (!!!) and remove the two wires from
the starter.

If it won't move, start thumpin' on it.   You might be able to get a
stick of wood or something behind the engine under the starter and
hammer a little.    Could also try putting the bolts in partially,
and put a socket and extension over  them and hammer -- with the
wheel well cover off and a long extension, you can usually get to them.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata