starter dead?

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 13 18:41:12 CST 2005

>How hard would it be for a lame armchair mechanic to replace the starter?  I
>plan on twice as long as anyone else on this list, but what is a good estimate
>for all of you guys?  2-3 hours?

I think 2-3 hours sounds good for lame-armchair-mechanic time. It is not
too hard. You do have to put the car on stands, but it is mostly a matter
of taking off the intake to access the bolts, and then removing it from below.

I don't think it is that expensive to rebuild (I recall Wayne Cox has done
it, so he could tell you about that), and the going rate for used starters
from Japanese imports is about $40.

David