Active mailing list.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Sun Oct 30 10:46:21 CST 2005

I know what people are talking about when they say the list seems
dormant. I'd like to give my perspective.

After such a long time, I believe list members have the addresses of
people they go to with specific questions, so many of those do not make
it to the list. People on the list have bonded with eachother, and this
results in what seems like a lack of activity. Also, I've found that the
list is more active during the seasons where most people have good
weather for fixing cars. The hot summer, and the dead of winter
producing lulls in activity. I do admit, for a while it's been pretty
much dead. This doesn't discourage me from loving my car, or working on
it, or making big plans for it.

I'm one of the young (age 22), new comers. I had a flurry of questions
when I first came (2 and a half years ago). I'm a quick study, so I'm
pretty much on auto-pilot now, as far as knowledge of my car goes. The
thing is, I'm busy with college and many other things. The Sentra for me
is the "small" project. I plan on working on it, and completing my goals
with it while I expand my new business, graduate from college, get
married, and find a home. While most of you have delayed your car work
because of these things, I plan to have much more time once I get out of
school, no matter what else is happening. So once that does happen, I
will have questions for the list again. I'm just hoping it will be
around. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

My most imediate plans involve rear brakes, and I will have questions
for that very soon. Relating to master cyclinder choice, and the like.

I too know what its like to open a few eyes at a stop light. I love the
car so much and everything about it. From the pedal placement, to the
shift throws, to the bucket seats, to the sleeper look. I can't imagine
enjoying another car in the same way. I knew when I bought it that I
would have to make a decision. Do I want to modify this car to where
I'll be happy with it, or will I ever want to sell it? I chose to keep
it for ever; and I will. It's on it's third US engine, and finally has
it's 5th gear fixed. I've done all the work my self. This is just to
keep it on the road, so I can enjoy driving it. I feel as if the hard
stuff is behind me, and now I can look forward to forced induction, and
corner hugging spring rates. I will never forget the night when I
decided I was going to replace my '85 Volvo Wagon with an SE-R. I
couldn't sleep. I was so excited, that when I went to test drive the car
I didn't even care that it needed a new clutch, or that it had
structural damage from a crash. I know I should have turned it down, or
offered less money, but I was in a haze. I purschased the car, and drove
it home with the biggest perma-grin I've ever had. My girlfriend would
be jealous if she knew how happy my car can make me.

There is no end to the story, only the future.

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R