Timing Chain replacement

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 29 06:10:23 CDT 2005

At 04:47 AM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
>well my old girl has accomplished 65000 kilometers (164,660 odd miles?)
>most of this being long 3000km (2,236 Miles) in one hit (one side of the
>country

Actually, that's just a tick over 40,000 miles (at least the screwed up
unit of measure we call a mile in the US.)  It's just getting broken in!

>However the problem is the constant timing chain rattle that i'm getting.
>Even with the new Nissan tensioner installed, it sounds like a 10' tall
>baby's rattle.

That's unusual.  Are you sure the tensioner released?  There's a little
hook that holds it in for installation that is supposed to release when it
first gets tension against it.

>Seeing as prevention is better than waiting for a massive engine re-build
>bill, i've decided that this is the way to go

Replacing the chain is such a huge job, it's almost like a rebuild.  You
might be able to do it in the car, but dropping the engine out is probably
the easiest way to go, if you have the equipment.  The factory manual says
you have to remove the head and oil pans, as well as all the front-cover
stuff.  I have doubts about the head needing to come off, but it is a huge
job.  No one here does it unless they're doing a full rebuild.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata