Overheated in NC

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn at mindspring.com
Sat May 28 20:16:34 CDT 2005

Well with our Rockingham Track event only one week away, the first few warm
days of summer have us operating in the danger zone. We limped home the other
day with the heater going full blast. The cooling fans are operating properly,
the coolant level is good, there was still some coolant in the overflow tank
(so I don't think we sucked air). The belts seemed to be ok so we took the
"easy fix" approach and swapped thermostats Friday evening. Well it overheated
again today. After searching the FAQ's and other info on the web, I discovered
that we overlooked the bleeder location on the thermostat housing (it doesn't
look like the one on my BMW's). If a through bleeding (leeches not included)
does not cure the problem tomorrow are there any likely issues that I'm
missing? We attempted to check timing, but the timing light is so old that it
finally died, and I was thinking that the timing is very unlikely to change
with this type of distributor.
Any helpful hints will be appreciated. I hate to change a radiator if there is
some "magic bullet" that I've missed.
Thanks,
Charlie G
Raleigh, NC