dead alternator

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 30 11:41:36 CDT 2005

If it's really dead then all you have is the battery's reserve capacity.
Like you said, 30 minutes may be all there is.  This all assumes that the
alternator is completely offline.  So-called super premium batteries
"claim" up to three hours but they are few and far between.  The Interstate
unit I bought is heavy as heck, has an 800cca rating, and its stated
reserve capacity is the aforementioned 180 minutes.  The alternator can be
changed from the top side (I seem to remember that you have a Classic?) but
it requires some finagling to get the unit in and out.  But it can be done.
 Unfortunately I have done it twice.
***********************
Yes, I have a Classic, but this is on my G20, which I bought last year. I
do have a good (and heavy) Interstate battery, but I don't think I'm
relying on it full-time just yet. The lights went off and stayed off for
most of my drive home from work yesterday. Phew. I do not want to flirt too
much with danger, so I am using it as a reason to get off my ass and
replace my SE-R's water pump (and rebuild the rear brakes) so I can drive
it while I get an alternator rebuild. I've pulled alternators a few times
by now myself.

Larry, were you at any of the GLBs? I seem to remember you once had a
purple B14 you named figment, but I may be confused.

Nice to see all these old names coming out from the cobwebs!

David