alternator death

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 30 10:58:25 CDT 2005

At 11:52 AM 4/30/05 -0400, Stede Bonnett wrote:
>Mine lasted 3 days of day/night driving when it happened to me back in
>'99. Then it wouldn't start - I let it sit for ~6h and it recovered
>enough charge to drive and get parts, etc.
>Check the contacts at the alternator and make sure they are fastened
>tightly and not corroded off. The wires seem to like to dissolve away.

Thanks, that is encouraging. At least it had 8-9 hours to sit while I was
at work. When the lights first went on I pulled over and looked at and
tugged on the contacts, and they all seem fine. Though I am in Detroit, the
car is from Texas and has only been here a year, so nothing on it is
corroded. I do think I'll double-check it all this weekend, though. The
alternator is a used DET one I picked up from a lister years ago so I am
not too disappointed.

David