REALLY high emission readings

EEYORE5182 at aol.com EEYORE5182 at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 13:32:15 CDT 2005

Last time I had my car emissions test preformed, the mechanic eventually
retarded the timing in order to help get the car to pass.  This time I  wanted to
do that from the start in the hopes that I could pass on the first  run.
Should have known not to get my hopes up.
I also decided to try to lower my idle a bit, as it was high (about  900-1000
rpm) so I turned the screw all the way in on the AAC valve, which  didn't
seem to help much..maybe around 100-200 rpm).  My results shocked me  once I got
the slip back from the inspection station:

15 MPH -
HC:  Limit 119, Reading 186
NO:  Limit 945, Reading 3244!!!!!

25 MPH
HC:  Limit 115, Reading 174
NO:  Limit 855, Reading 3151!!!

I retarded the timing a good ways by pushing the distributor to the  firewall
about a quarter of an inch (it was set about dead center before). But  with
numbers that high for NO, I'm a little stumped.  The cat is relatively  new,
but is a high flow unit.  I also have never cleaned the EGR tube  (probably a
good time to do that).  The O2 sensor is also a relatively new  piece, after
being replaced last time I had the tests done.  Any other  thoughts?

Alex
'93 NX2k