2005 Convention head wrangler's report

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Fri Apr 15 11:06:47 CDT 2005

Bruce, you guys haven't been thanked enough, so I'll go ahead and throw
my thanks in here before I get on to replying with the rest of your
note.  ;)

On Apr 14, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Bruce.Hearn at cd-tech.com wrote:

> What a treat to be towing the car towards College Station through
> rain!  Fortune smiled on us though, as it was indeed sunny and low 70s
> on Friday.  Was a bit blustery, too, but that didn't hamper the
> festivities at the track.

Ahh, but at least you didn't get the freak 'Storm Of The Apocalypse'
that we had up in Dallas...  THAT was nasty.

> Saturday was apparently a fun day for most.  I had no idea Spam-o-rama
> would be a worthwhile event to attend.  Maybe those folks are just
> weird.  I got into Austin in time to enjoy most of the happy hour at
> the Embassy Suites.

Tip for future planners...  Send emails to the List about fun things
that folks will be doing in case other locals might drop by.  Since
Saturday was officially a down day, it never occurred to me that folks
would be getting together for fun.  I should have known better.  ;)
Oh, and make sure the web page has the right dates...  LOL

> For those who didn't get their t-shirt, the wayward box arrived at the
> hotel Monday morning.  I'll retrieve it and get your shirts out in the
> mail.

Bruce, do you want me to pick that up for you and ship it there?  Let
me know off list.

> Three birthdays were celebrated, too, though only one of us actually
> had a birthday.

Well, there WERE two birthdays, but only one in our group.  ;)  I
turned 40 that weekend, and my wife Donna was making no secret of the
fact.  Someone else in the group told the waiter that they were having
a birthday, so the restaurant crew brought out the ceremonial ice cream
cup and sang the traditional song, with our group and most of that
section singing along, badly, but making up for it in volume.  The ice
cream cup was then passed to me, and the assault on other patron's ears
continued, and then after that, the table in the corner (completely
surrounded by our group) piped up that they were ALSO having a
birthday, so again the ice cream was passed and for a third time those
diners whose eardums had not ret ruptured were again treated to another
rousing rendition of the birthday song.  It was a birthday I'm sure
neither of us will soon forget.

> And another Convention is history.  I can hardly wait for next year!

And I can't wait for the next Texas one...  ;)