need help--what do these problems have in common?

Jonathan Mistchenko and Sarah Reeves rokhound at calweb.com
Thu Mar 24 23:41:00 CST 2005

Apparently I have angered the SR20DE gods...after 6 years and 3 NXs I no
longer have an SR20; the problem is that I just sold my normally reliable 92
NX to my brother in law and several problems have suddenly appeared during a
600 mile drive to his new home in Phoenix.  The first problem occurred right
when he left--car won't start, all lights come on but no starter action.
After push starting it, it drives home and starts repeatedly.  Car drives
500 miles with several starts at gas stations along the way.  Problem
happens again, but this time after push starting, the car:
1. Wants to die/idle very low when clutch pushed in
2. Gas gauge drops to E from 3/4 and
3. At one point, the clutch pedal stayed down on floor.  The driver had to
pull it up with her foot, and it acted normally after that.

I am trying to diagnose it over the phone to people with no access to tools.
Based on my experience and checking the archives, I think the clutch
inhibitor switch is the main suspect: maybe something is physically
interfering with it as well as holding the clutch pedal down.  He checked it
out (after dark at a gas station) and couldn't see a problem.  He held his
finger on the button and it still wouldn't start.  Possibly an corrosion
issue, either internal or wiring?
Symptoms 1 and 2 seem to point elsewhere.  I assume a faulty/loose ignition
switch could cause these as well as intermittant starting, but that would
not explain the clutch pedal staying down.  These are somewhat subjective
observations and were made at a stressful moment, so they may not be super
relaible.

They are limping into Phoenix right now, and I want to help them solve the
problem in the next few days.  Should he start by bypassing the clutch
switch?  Is there an easy way to test the ignition switch?  If the problem
is not easily solved, are there List Members in Phoenix that could help him
out or reccommend a good shop?  I feel silly asking for help from this
community right after I sell my last SR, but I know from experience that
this list is the best place to go for information.  Also, I am on digest so
please e-mail me directly.

TIA!

Jon Mistchenko
pile of NX parts in garage but no car