DET in a non SE-R chassis

jerryeads at joimail.com jerryeads at joimail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:06:33 CST 2005

On topic: When a great little place in Richmond, VA was in
business specializing in the cars (sorry, can't think of the
name, now gone), I got to listen to a conversation on
converting the non-SE-R to SE-R suspension.  Looks a bit
different in the rear, of course, as the non-se-r has drums,
and I believe no swaybar mount.  BUT, if you could find a
trashed one you could bolt the rear pieces to your former
GA16 carrying car.  As I remember, the front has a different
swaybar too, but I'll have to let others confirm that.  You
CAN, if you're serious about it, go spend big bucks on
coilovers, or midbucks on some hypercos (I did; the springs
are pure genius) if the group buy at sr20forum is still on,
and AGXs. But you still need to tie the thing down with sway
bars. Check with Progress Technology (progressauto.com);
looks like they say their bars fit f&r on the GA16 car.
There's also a guy that advertises on that forum as a seller
of those bars for less than you'll find elsewhere; my
experience is that he's completely reputable.  You'll also
probably want an Active Tuning rear and a Stillen front
tower brace to finish it. The fstb may not fit if you used
the top mount intercooler.
Off topic: PLEASE tell us more about the swap - I'm looking
into doing this craziness with my 93 classic se-r.
  OH- if you want to go the low road, many of us, including
me, have the stock SE-R springs boxed in a corner, altho I
can't say as I recommend it - they're really not much
stiffer than the GA-16 springs.