AVOID THIS SCAM (was: Staying in touch)

Wayne wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 8 11:29:59 CST 2005

At 07:33 AM 2/8/2005, you wrote:
>I'm updating my address book. Please take a moment to update your latest
>contact information. ..... Plaxo is free, if you'd like to give it a try.

In case any of you are not aware of the scam that is "Plaxo", I'd suggest
you just ignore & delete this.

They're some on-line service that claims to offer a unified,
accessible-from-anywhere address book.  Except when you install it, it
takes the liberty of uploading your entire address book back to them, and
sending out these annoying "update" requests (with practically no warning.)

Their privacy policies are rather sketchy, and they've never announced WHY
they're so intent on collecting all this personal information.  Nor have
they announced any business model to explain how they intend to become
profitable by giving away a free product.

General suspicion is they intend to start using all the contact and
demographic info for spamming or other marketing purposes.   Run Away!

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '90 Miata