Help! Coolant in oil (long), cylinder head gasket replacement

Brian K bkoko001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 16:43:01 CST 2005

Alright, I definitely f'd that one up.  thanks for the info.  Shoulda read the FSM more carefully.  As for the white smoke out the tailpipe, the guy at the machine shop told me it's not uncommon for lots of water/coolant to be accumulated in the exhaust after the head gasket swap, so that *could* explain the smoking.  He said it might go away after the car is actually driven for a few miles.

Unfortunately that doesn't help explain why the engine oil still looks like chocolate milk even after 2 changes.  I think I'll try pressure testing the cooling system...I'm hoping there's an easy fix but I still have a sinking feeling that there's some kind of internal engine damage I didn't spot during the reassembly.  I was wondering if maybe I managed to reverse my turbo water and oil lines, but the hose lengths prevent that from happening.

More to follow...

Matt MA <MA at legacypartners.com> wrote:
The FSM has a detailed procedure for this. You have the right idea, but
I don't think that squeezing the lifters themselves will be enough to
bleed the air out of them.