DE block

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Mon Aug 23 15:59:16 CDT 2004

Steve scribbled:

> I have stripped both engines and found the cylinder wall has been severely
> scored.

If the cranks aren't scored like the cylinder walls, I'd measure just
to make sure.  At least with plastigauge on a rod if nothing else..

> Can I bore out the cylinder wall, if I can depending on how
> bad it is scored, and install a 300z piston in there?  Should I just keep
> everything (heads, intake and so on) and discard the engine block?

Sure you can bore it out, just make sure whoever's doing it
has a torque plate for an SR20, maybe even strip them down
and send them out to JWT.  I don't know who else has a torque
plate these days, I'm sure someone does, somewhere.

> Or what would you suggest to do with the two blown engines?

A) Rebuild them with 87mm 300ZX pistons and
send the external parts to me for powdercoating
after machine work, but before assembly.

B) Rebuild them with 87mm 300ZX TT pistons for a turbo
project, machine in piston oil squirters, GTI-R bearings, and
send the external parts to me for powdercoating after machine
work, but before assembly.

C) Rebuild them with the stroker kit Mike helped develop and
send the external parts to me for powdercoating after machine
work, but before assembly.

D) Sell them to your local scrap metal dealer.

E) Use them as really unwieldy paperweights, using an engine
hoist to lift/lower them as needed.

:)

There's the first 5 suggestions I could could come up with off of my head.

Peter
--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.