Help! Driver side axle install

wmc_sr20 at bellsouth.net wmc_sr20 at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 9 22:12:15 CDT 2004

At 03:45 PM 8/9/2004, Russell C. wrote:
>In the process of replacing a driver side axle on my 5spd 95 200sx se-r,
>and just not quite sure if I've got it all the way into the transaxle.
>Right now there's around a 3/8" gap, maybe a tad more, about the size of
>the tip of my finger, between the tranny surface/seal and the housing

Hard to say - that *might* be all the way in, or more likely, your having
the same old problem with getting the clip to seat.

You might remember a circular spring steel clip around the end of the
splines - that needs a good whomping to seat in.  Normal advice is:
* Pack grease into the slot that the clip sits in.  This will hold it in
place so you can roughly center it before sliding the axle in.
* Put a little grease or gear oil on the splines and seal contact surface.
* Slide the axle in as far as you can get it.
* You may want to put the outboard end back into the hub at this point, or
maybe not.  Depends on preference, and how you disassembled it.
* CAREFULLY whomp on the outboard axle stub to seat it entirely.  Might
help to have someone hold the axle and lean in against it to compress the
CV joints.  DO NOT use a hammer directly on the axle, as you'll "mushroom"
over the end and fuck up the threads.  Place the 32mm nut over the stub,
leaving it a little bit out from the stub.  Place a block of wood or other
soft stuff against the nut.  NOW whomp with a BFH.  You will probably feel
a distinct movement when the spring clip finally snaps in.

I've always found the axle seals to be prone to leaking, and keep a few
spares on hand and always replace them.  They're only $5 - $7/ea.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '90 Miata